The Parish Council was very concerned to hear that a disposable barbecue was used in the Jubilee Field and was not properly doused before being left. Thankfully a member of the public spotted the smoking barbecue and extinguished it, otherwise there could have been very serious consequences.

Devon & Somerset Fire & Rescue Service have lots of useful advice on their website including the following:

  • Please don’t have BBQs or campfires in the countryside, or on any grassland during this very dry weather.
  • If you’re a smoker, please take extreme care with how you put out your cigarettes and dispose of them.
  • Don’t leave litter, and pick it up if you see it. Don’t leave it to someone else. Discarded litter, in particular glass bottles, pose a fire risk when the sun’s rays are magnified through it.
  • Avoid having bonfires at the moment.

Please share this information with people you know and be vigilant and take immediate action if you see the potential for a fire to start.  If you want to enjoy a picnic, please don’t use a barbecue or campfire and remember to take all your litter home, leaving no trace of your visit.  Thank you.